Be equipped to succeed academically
As a Southwest Baptist University student, you have numerous resources available to
help you succeed academically and prepare for life after graduation.
I will avidly argue that SBU has the best teaching faculty around. They invest in
you, and form relationships with you. They care about you, and truly want you to succeed
in college and in life.
Whether you need tips for writing an essay or assistance with coursework, there are
plenty of resources available to help support you in your studies.
- University Writing Center — This free service connects you with help for any stage of the writing process and
is open weekly (appointments are encouraged) in the Jester Learning and Performance
- Math Lab — Receive help in algebra, pre-calculus, calculus and more during the Math Lab, open
in the evenings Monday through Thursday (specific hours and locations vary).
- Research One — Looking for one-on-one research assistance? You can have an individual appointment
with your college's librarian for guidance about navigating library resources and
researching for assignments.
- Run 2 Win — If you need a little extra help making a successful transition into college, Run
2 Win will connect you with an upperclassman mentor who will help you study for your
classes and talk through any issues that may arise during your time at SBU. Stop by
the University Success Center for more information.
- Study Sessions — Benefit from extra study time during various Study Sessions, which focus on specific
courses and are led by upperclassmen who have already taken the course and succeeded.
- Science Tutoring — Looking for help in science courses? Take advantage of tutoring offered by chemistry
faculty or upperclassmen biology students throughout the semester.
- Biblical Studies Tutoring — Students in Theta Alpha Kappa, the national religious studies and theology honor
society, provide tutoring for introductory Biblical studies and theology courses.
You can attend group study sessions or get individual help from tutors.
- Review Sessions — Attend review sessions held throughout the year for various classes.
University Success Center
The University Success Center (USC) assists first-year and transfer students as you
transition into life at SBU. As a new student to SBU, you will take seminar classes
and receive personalized academic advising through the USC as you adjust academically,
emotionally, spiritually and socially at SBU.
LEARN MORE about the USC
Make an academic plan
We have resources available to help you plan your class schedule and make sure you
enroll in all the classes you need to complete your desired degree.
prepare for a career
SBU's Office of Career Services provides valuable resources to help prepare you to
succeed in a career after you graduate. Examples of resources provided by Career Services
- Job search databases
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Mock job interviews
- Career fairs
- Career counseling and assessments
LEARN MORE about Career Services
Expand your learning
SBU encourages you to excel academically and take advantage of the many opportunities
offered, such as:
- Take your learning global through the Study Abroad program
- Conduct research under the guidance of the Research Review Board
- Explore the University Libraries — get help from their Research Assistance desk, work on group projects in a study
room, utilize Media Services resources, or just pick up a book to read for fun!