As we have stated in previous communications, the coronavirus outbreak is a quickly
changing situation. As of Wednesday, March 11, SBU is not aware of any cases of coronavirus
within the SBU community. However, for the safety and well-being of our students,
SBU is adjusting its spring schedule and approach:
- Course facilitation the week of March 23-27 will move online: During the week of March 23-27, the week after Spring Break, classes will not physically
meet on any of SBU’s campuses. Classes will utilize Blackboard to facilitate the learning
experience. Students must be prepared to resume classes online March 23, taking with them any
required textbooks and other materials when leaving for Spring Break. Please continue to check Blackboard and your SBU email to stay in contact with your
- Spring Break campus closures: All offices on all campuses will be closed during Spring Break March 16-20. During
this time, all public spaces will receive additional cleaning and sanitization.
- Offices reopen March 23: Faculty and staff offices reopen Monday, March 23.
- Campus events: Internal campus events are cancelled through March 29. External events, such as those
organized through our conference center and required athletic events, are still currently
- Spring Break Travel Log: All employees and students will be required to complete a Spring Break Travel Log
before returning to campus. The link for the online log will be available through
the MySBU portal beginning Friday, March 20.
- Summer and fall registration: Registration for summer and fall classes will be delayed by one week for groups who
have not registered.
- Spring Break trips: International trips planned for Spring Break are cancelled due to the rapidly increasing
travel restrictions within the host countries. Center for Global Connections staff
is exploring options and will provide team members with more details. At this time,
domestic trips are continuing as scheduled.
- Residence halls: We request students not return to campus until Sunday, March 29. However, we recognize
some students are unable to travel home and have a need to come back or not leave
for Spring Break. Residence halls and campus services will be open for these students. Contact
your Resident Director to make necessary arrangements.
- Wellness Center: From March 14-28, the Wellness Center will remain open 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday
and noon-6 p.m. Saturdays. Fitness classes will not meet.
Any student, faculty, or staff member who has direct contact with anyone diagnosed
with coronavirus or who visits or travels through a country or region with a Level
2 or Level 3 Travel Health Notice as declared by the CDC (www.cdc.gov) MUST self-quarantine off-campus for 14 days. These individuals will not be allowed
to return to residential housing, offices, or to be on campus during the self-quarantine
period. The self-quarantine period is your personal responsibility. Faculty will provide
alternate academic plans to help students who cannot attend class during a quarantine
period. Anyone required to self-quarantine should call (417) 328-1885.
I know you have unanswered questions. Our administrative team continues to monitor
the latest developments and work through logistics. Please continue to monitor our
website and social media for updated information.
Shaping our story together,
Dr. Eric A. Turner
SBU Coronavirus Information Page