Develop your skills, advance professionally as an educator and prepare for leadership in today's education environment with the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership at SBU.
The doctor of education program at SBU is designed to prepare strong educational leaders. The program will equip you through a variety of educational experiences, including:
- Discussions of current research and leadership practice;
- Innovative technology and classroom applications;
- Application of current situations in education; and
- Other experiences deemed current and beneficial to the further development of education leaders.
The doctorate program employs a cohort model, which provides numerous benefits, from community support and group feedback to peer mentoring, networking and collaborative insights. You also will receive ongoing guidance and support from your advisor, who is assigned to you in your first semester and will facilitate your individual Directed Research project.
Throughout the program, you will advance your depth of knowledge on educational and servant leadership. The doctor of education degree helps you learn processes and gain knowledge to create a positive culture, increase organizational and student performance, and enable the development of a highly successful learning organization.
Four program tracks have been created to tailor the program to your career goals and previous educational experience.
- Track One: Core Classes (everyone completes this track)
- Track Two: Additional leveling courses for candidates holding an M.S. in Educational Administration; this track allows you to complete the required Specialist courses a year prior to participation in the Ed.D. courses
- Track Three: Additional courses for students with a master's degree in an education-related field interested in building administrator certification
- Track Four: Additional courses for students with a master's degree in an education-related field but not interested in receiving administrative certification