Policies and Procedures
For the safety of everyone participating in fitness activities at the Wellness Center,
SBU requires certain policies and procedures to be followed by all members and guests.
Wellness Center Policies
- A valid SBU identification card is required for entrance to the Wellness Center. ID
cards are non-transferable. The cards are proximity-oriented and each member must
electronically register his or her visit. No "tag-alongs" are allowed.
- Guests must obtain a guest pass and pay the daily fee. Any guest under the age of
18 must be in the company of an adult sponsor or parent at all times.
- Participation is at your own risk.
- There will be no smoking, chewing tobacco, or alcohol on the premises.
- No food, gum or beverages are allowed in the Wellness Area or Intramural Gym. Water
in sealable containers is allowed.
- Appropriate attire is required.
- Bicycles, roller blades, skates and skateboards are not allowed in the Wellness Center.
- SBU is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Book bags and personal items are not allowed in activity areas. They should be stored
in lockers located in locker rooms in the Fitness Center.
- All accidents must be reported to Wellness Center staff/supervisors at the Intramural
Gym Equipment Issue Desk or the Fitness Area Desk.
- Participants are encouraged to report any maintenance or repair needed to Wellness
Center staff or supervisors. Cost of damage repair occurring to the Wellness Center
facility or equipment will be assessed to the responsible individual.
- Animals are prohibited in the Wellness Center, unless utilized as a guide or assistant
for people with disabilities.
- Electronic equipment is permitted for personal use, but only with headphones.
- Signs and posters may not be posted on any wall without prior approval of the Director's
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- Wellness Center patrons are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with SBU
policy. Abusive or vulgar language will not be tolerated. There will be no spitting
and fighting; non-compliance will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the Center.
Conduct should not distract or disrupt the recreational pursuits of other participants.
Participants not following policies and procedures may be asked to leave the Wellness
Center by supervisors or staff. If cooperation is not immediately obtained, Campus
Security will be contacted and the member may be referred for disciplinary action.
Minors ages 15 and under must have a Wellness Center membership and be accompanied
by a parent or legal guardian with a Wellness Center membership to gain admission
to the facility. Minors must remain in the company of the parent or legal guardian
while in the Wellness Center.
Minors age 16 and older can enter the Wellness Center by displaying a valid membership
Lockers are for day use only. Participants may use locks to secure their clothing
or equipment in a locker. Locks and items must be removed before closing time.
Locks not removed from lockers will be cut off at the owner's expense and items placed
in the lost and found.
Equipment may be checked out for daily use with a valid SBU ID card. Users are responsible
for equipment and must reimburse the Wellness Center for damage to equipment before
return of ID card.
Equipment may not be used overnight. No equipment may leave the Wellness Center facility.
Lost and found items, if returned to the Fitness Area Desk, will be kept for one month.
The Wellness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Appropriate attire is required in the intramural gym. Full length shirts (t-shirts)
covering backs and fronts, shorts, and non-marking shoes are acceptable. Sandals,
open-toed shoes, boots, hard-soled shoes, and anything that damages flooring or compromises
the safety and professionalism of the Fitness Area are prohibited.
- Dunking, grabbing or hanging on the basketball rims is prohibited.
- The use of soccer balls, baseballs, footballs or Frisbees and other equipment considered
unsafe in the gymnasium environment is prohibited during open recreation. Exceptions
will be made for programmed and staff-supervised activities.
- The decision to divide courts by drawing gym curtains will be made by Wellness Center
- Do not lean on, pull, or sit on court dividers.
- Recreational basketball games will adhere to the following guidelines: (1) A challenge
for the next game is issued verbally by waiting players. No one in the present game
may call for "next game." (2) Only one player need be present to issue a challenge.
(3) Losing player(s) are not eligible for the next game unless other player(s) are
unavailable. (4) Upon winning three consecutive games, the winning team must exit
the court if players are waiting for "next game."
- Climbers must be on "top rope" with a certified belayer if the feet exceed the "red
line" wall height. Climbers failing to observe the "red line" limit will forfeit their
- Solo climbing is not permitted.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to belay. A climber under the age of 16 must
be under parent or legal guardian supervision.
- Climbers are required to use ropes provided by the Climbing Wall. Personal harnesses
and climbing hardware may be used if first checked by Climbing Wall staff.
- Non-marking shoes must be worn on the Climbing Wall. Bare feet and boots are not permitted.
- Harnesses must be double-backed at the waist and leg loop and checked by the belayer
before starting the climb.
- It is both the climber and belayer's responsibility to check, double check, and triple
check the climber knot and belay system before climbing.
- Rock wall climbing and belaying commands must be followed.
- Use of chalk is confined to "chalk ball" and must be carried in a chalk bag. No colored
chalk is permitted.
- Climbers must remove all jewelry and loose-fitting clothing before climbing.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the Climbing Wall area.
- Only instruction by the Climbing Wall staff is permitted.
- Any adjustment or rearrangement of holds is performed by the Climbing Wall staff.
- Setting or adjusting of "top rope" or boulder routes is only performed by the Climbing
- Climbing on any element of the Wellness Center facility other than the Climbing Wall
will result in immediate suspension of Wellness Center privileges.
- Climbers must climb in a safe manner at their own risk.
- Climbing Wall staff has the authority to ask participants to leave the Climbing Wall
if actions are considered a hazard to their own or other's health and safety.
- The running/walking track is designated for running, jogging and walking. The inside
lane is reserved for walkers. The middle lane is reserved for joggers and the outside
lane is for runners.
- Direction: A clockwise direction will be used on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
A counterclockwise direction will be used on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- The track is not to be used as an observation area for gymnasium or rock wall activities.
No leaning, sitting or hanging on the track railing.
- Non-marking running shoes or gym shoes are appropriate for the track. No boots or
- Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Stretching is to be done in "off-track" designated areas.
- Track is for foot traffic only. No wheeled vehicles please.
- See Fitness Area policies (below) for proper use of equipment.
- Thirty minute time limit if someone is waiting
- Wipe down machines when workout is completed.
- Cardio and weight equipment is to be wiped down after each usage. A spray cleaner/disinfectant
is provided in exercise area. Please, consider bringing a towel to cover benches during
workout. Covering the benches with towels prolongs the life of the equipment and reduces
the spread of infections and illnesses.
- Participants must be 16 years of age or older to use the Fitness Area. Anyone under
the age of 16 is not allowed in the Fitness Area, even in the company of an adult,
parent or guardian.
- Appropriate exercise attire is required in the Fitness Area. Full-length shirts with
backs, shorts, aerobic wear, and close-toed athletic shoes are acceptable. Sandals,
open-toed shoes, boots, hard-soled shoes, and anything the compromises the safety
and professionalism of the Fitness Area are prohibited.
- Personal belongings (backpacks, clothing, wallets, etc.) may not be placed anywhere
in the Fitness Area. All personal items must be stored in student locker rooms.
- No food, beverages or gum is allowed in the Fitness Area. Only water in sealable containers
- All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming
or bouncing of weights is prohibited.
- Spotters are necessary for all free weights.
- Collars are required for free weight bars.
- Re-rack weights and dumbbells after use.
- Do not place weights or dumbbells on padded benches.
- Weight plates must be kept in free weight and plate-loaded areas.
- Dumbbell use is limited to one set of dumbbells at a time.
- Cardiovascular machine workouts are limited to 30 minutes if others are waiting.
- Report any injury or maintenance needs to staff.
- Participation is at your own risk.
- Fitness staff may ask participants to leave area for non-observance of policies.
- Physical training may only be performed by trainers officially sanctioned by the Wellness
- Racquetball and handball court reservations may be made up to 24 hours in advance
by calling the Fitness Desk during operation hours. Reservations begin on the hour
and extend for one hour.
- All players must check-in at the Fitness Desk before proceeding to the courts.
- A waiting list will be established beginning on the hour. Courts not claimed by 10
minutes after the hour will be assigned according to the waiting list.
- Protective eye wear is required and must be worn correctly to prevent eye injury.
Eye guards may be checked out at the Fitness Desk with an SBU ID card.
- Racquetball rackets may be checked out at the Fitness Desk. All rackets must have
protective racket guards and lanyards. Lanyards must be secured to player's wrist
at all times during a game. Member must pay for any racket damage.
- Players must exit courts when reservation time has expired. Players may not remain
on court to finish a game.
- Tapping or knocking on glass or door to notify players that time has expired must
be done between points.
- Report any injury or maintenance needs to Fitness Area Staff.
- Non-marking athletic shoes are required.
- Fitness staff only may designate a challenge court. Time and court number will be
- The Aerobics Room has a posted class schedule. The room can be used for other workouts
when not scheduled.
- Appropriate aerobics clothing is required to participate.
- Athletic shoes are required.
- Only water in sealable containers is allowed in the Aerobics Room.
- Wellness Center classrooms are available for classes, programmed activities and group
- Reservations for activities and meetings must be scheduled through the Director's
- The approved party must secure classrooms after use
- Entrance to the Aquatics Area may only be gained when the lifeguard is present. The
lifeguard on duty is to be obeyed at all times.
- The Aquatics Area may be closed at any time by the Wellness Center Director or Head
Lifeguard due to inclement weather or possible health concerns from water-borne or
- Swimmers may be required to perform a swimming test by the lifeguards. If unable to
pass the test, swimmers will be restricted to the shallow water area of the pool.
The swim test consists of continuous swim (25 yards on front, followed by one minute
of treading water).
- Adult, parent or guardian supervision is required for swimmers under 16 years of age.
- All swimmers must shower from head to toe before entering the pool.
- Appropriate swimming attire is required. Only conventional one-piece, clean bathing
suits may be worn. No cut-offs, walking shorts, jeans or clothing deemed inappropriate
or damaging to filtration system will be allowed.
- All swimmers wearing diapers or of diaper-wearing age must wear swimsuit diapers or
tight-fitting rubber or plastic paints that will contain urinary or fecal matter.
- Shoulder-length hair should be tied back or put in a swim cap.
- Food or beverages are not allowed in the Aquatic Area. Water in sealable containers
- People with open sores or wounds, infectious diseases or rashes are not permitted
in the pool. Contact the lifeguard if you have any questions.
- Walk on the pool deck at all times. No running, pushing, horseplay or any action that
may endanger personal safety or the safety of other swimmers is allowed.
- Flotation devices, arm-floats, rafts, life jackets, etc. may be used for children
who are under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Adults may use jogging belts for water exercise.
- Public display of affection is prohibited.
- Kickboards and water exercise equipment must be used for its intended purpose.
- There is to be only one person on a diving board at all times. Divers are responsible
for their landing area. The correct and appropriate diving skill should be used at
all times. There is to be only one spring per dive. Divers will be allowed to exit
the boards by descending the steps. Divers waiting to dive must not be on the ladder
until the diver on the board has entered the water.
- All injuries or maintenance needs must be reported to the lifeguard on duty.
- Immediate attention must be given to a lifeguard whistle. One long whistle by the
lifeguard indicates an emergency and is the signal for swimmers to clear the pool.