NOTICE: Classes canceled today due to weather conditions. Check Blackboard for communication from your instructors.

Veteran Certification Request Form

Choose your benefit category
If you are unsure of the benefit category to select, please contact Michael Stonestreet, SBU's VA Certifying Official, at (417) 328-1609 or
  • New students (transfer and freshmen) are required to meet with the certifying official before the Department of Veterans Affairs certification can be processed.
  • Distance Education and Deployed/Activated students should contact Veteran Student Services for assistance.
By checking "yes" on each box below you acknowledge that you are the student listed on this form, are requesting certification for the indicated term, and agree to each of the following items.
I have completed the Department of Veteran's Affairs form 22-1990, 22-1990E or form 22-5490 (Application for VA Educational Benefits) and have/will provide a copy of this application or my Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veteran's Affairs, and DD-214 (if applicable) to the Office for Veteran Student Services.
I understand that I must complete a new Veterans Certification Request form before each semester in order to receive educational benefits. We recommend students request certification at least 31 days before the start of the term to help ensure timely processing of a student's request.
I understand I must attend class and make satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits at SBU.
I understand that the Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay for courses repeated with a passing grade.
I understand that if I am deployed or need to withdraw during a semester for other military-related circumstances I must notify the Office for Veteran Student Services ( and supply a copy of my orders for verification.
I understand that adding or dropping a class, enrolling in a class that does not apply to my degree program, or enrolling in classes with various beginning and ending dates such as intersession classes, eight-week block classes and certain summer classes, may affect the monthly dollar amount of educational benefits I receive. (For clarification as to whether you are full-time for certification purposes, we encourage students to contact the Office for Veteran Student Services directly.)
I understand that if I receive Chapter 30, Chapter 33 or Chapter 1606 benefits I must report school attendance to the Department of Veterans Affairs at the end of each month in order to receive payment. I can report by phone (1-877-823-2378) or online (
I understand that if I receive Chapter 33 benefits I must be enrolled in at least one "On Campus" course in order to receive the local Basic Housing Allowance (BAH). Students taking only online classes may be eligible for a portion of BAH based on the national online distance learning rate as published by the Department of Veterans Affairs (
I understand that I have the responsibility to ensure that I have benefit time remaining, and/or will make arrangements for any other tuition/fee related expense not covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For questions regarding your eligibility or payment amounts, students should contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
I understand that if I use Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 benefits, then I may use a book voucher to obtain my books, but I will be responsible for making sure those funds are repaid in a timely manner.
I understand that if I make changes to my schedule, no matter which benefit I am using, I must notify Michael Stonestreet at of those changes.
For assistance in understanding or complying with the above regulations, please contact the SBU VA Certifying Official, Michael Stonestreet, at (417) 328-1609.

After submitting this form, though most students receive payment much earlier, please allow at least 4-6 weeks for your information to be updated with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

SBU's VA Certifying Official will provide support services throughout your academic pursuits while trying to provide a timely certification. It is important to note that this list is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, and it remains the student's responsibility to ensure that they are in compliance with their respective benefit program. If you have any questions at any time, please contact the SBU VA Certifying Official, Michael Stonestreet, directly at (417) 328-1609 or

By submitting this form you acknowledge your understanding of the aforementioned responsibilities.
ApplyVisitRequest Info