(417) 328-1556 or 328-8733
Be prepared for fires. Know the location of the fire extinguisher, pull station, exits, and evacuation routes in your area. Training on the use of fire extinguishers is available through the department of Safety and Security. In the event of a fire:
- Immediately sound the alarm and/or evacuate the area/building. Notify the fire department by calling 911.
- Notify Safety and security.
- Do not attempt to extinguish the fire unless it is safe to do so. Do not risk personal harm.
- When evacuating it may be necessary to crawl on hands and knees to avoid smoke. The safest air is generally 1-2 feet above the floor. If trapped inside call for help, open a window and notify those outside. Seal off the door and air vents if possible.
- Once outside, do not reenter the building until cleared to do so by fire department. Assemble at the designated area. Account for all persons known to have been inside the building.
To use a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin from the handle.
- Aim at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire.