- After completing the FAFSA some students are randomly selected for verification by the federal government.
- Verification is a process of supplying documentation to the financial aid office to support financial and family information reported on the FAFSA.
- SBU’s financial aid office will notify selected students by mail of required documentation.
- If there are differences between the FAFSA information and your documentation the necessary corrections will be made by the SBU financial aid office.
- Financial aid eligibility cannot be calculated until the verification process is complete.
- Failure to turn in documentation by the verification deadline may result in no federal aid eligibility for the school year.
- December 1 – Last day to turn in verification documents for Fall only loans.
- May 1- Last day to turn in verification documents for Fall/Spring loans or Spring only loans.
- July 15- Last day to turn in verification documents for Fall/Spring/Summer loans.
- September 1- Last day to turn in verification documents for prior year Federal grants.