Department of Chemistry and Physics
The department of chemistry and physics seeks to:
- present to its students the basic principles of both chemistry and physics, each as its own discipline;
- to enhance facility in analytical and critical thinking - especially thinking which involves logical and quantitative relationships;
- to provide exciting and stimulating laboratory experiences as an aid to the learning process;
- and to develop scientifically literate citizens through an understanding of the methods of science and the roles of the physical sciences, including chemistry and physics, in society.
Mission & Vision Statements
The SBU Department of Chemistry and Physics provides, from a Christian perspective, quality
instruction and research experiences in chemistry, physics, and the other physical sciences.
The SBU Department of Chemistry and Physics strives to be a Christ-centered community of scholars
- gives quality instruction in the principles and applications of chemistry, physics, and the other physical sciences;
- furnishes intellectually stimulating laboratory and research experiences that foster
analytical thinking and discovery-based learning;
- provides quality academic advising; and
- prepares its students for careers in the science-related professions.