Planning Ahead to Complete Your Degree Program:
Planning ahead will help you be efficient with your time while you are here at SBU and help to advance you through your chosen major(s) and/or minor(s). The documents linked to this page are designed to help you layout your specific schedule of courses for ease and efficiency in earning your B.S in Art, Commercial Art, or Art Education.
All Art Majors need to take note of the following information:
- Art 1103 Design & ART 1203 Drawing I, should be taken their first Fall Semester.
- FAR/ART 1013 Introduction to Art, should be taken their first Spring Semester (begins with 2009-2010 Catalog).
- In addition to the three courses listed above the freshman Art Major should complete one or two additional studio courses form the following list: ART 2003 Photography I, ART 2023 Sculpture I or ART 2033 Painting I.
- Art History I & II should be taken in the Sophomore Year.
- Due to the complex nature of the creative process and the time required for the production of artwork, art majors should enroll in two or three studios per semester but avoid taking more than three studio courses per semester.
- Art Majors should expect to spend (on average) six hours per week outside of class in the studio, for each three-hour studio course in which they are enrolled. (Three studio courses would indicate a minimum of 18 hours per week working independently to complete art projects).
- Art Programs: This document outlines the art requirements for all three Art Majors offered by the Department.
- Bachelors of Science in Art
- Bachelors of Science in Art Education
- Bachelors of Science in Commercial Art
The following worksheets are set up for eight fall/spring semesters with space to record scheduled J-term(s) (January, June & July) courses. They also contain a list of the general education and graduation requirements. Depending on the major and the worksheet, art courses may have been scheduled in for you.
- Blank Program Worksheet: works for any four-year program.
- Art Program Worksheet: works for all art programs. (A minimal number of art courses have been scheduled in this worksheet.)
- Art (General) Worksheet A: related to Trial Program A (see below) and includes all required art courses.
- Art (General) Worksheet B: related to Trial Program B (see below) and includes all required art courses.
- Art Education Worksheet: includes all art and education courses.
- Art Education Worksheet: includes only art courses.
- Commercial Art Digital Imaging Concentration: includes all required art courses.
- Commercial Art Graphic Design Concentration: includes all required art courses.
- Commercial Art Graphic Design & Digital Imaging: includes all required art courses.
Trial Programs: The following are links to Art program forms that have been fully filled out and may be followed exclusively or used as examples for you to plan your own four year program schedule.