“Even during this bad economy, our Social Science Education graduates are highly sought after by area schools. Our Social Science Education graduates are teaching in middle and high schools all over the area, and several times, schools have contacted us when they had an opening specifically asking for an SBU graduate. ”
- Department Chair James Smith
Social Science Education Major
- Along with the regular introductory courses, 19 upper-division courses in United States and World History are offered either regularly or on demand.
- Our upper-division courses are usually small (20 students or less) and taught from a distinctively Christian perspective.
- After completion of the introductory US and World History courses, students are required to complete two Ancient/Medieval History courses, one Modern World History course, one Asian History course, two US History courses, and a a History Capstone Seminar.
- Distinctive courses include: East Asian History, Ancient Military History, and Early American Religion.
With an undergraduate degree in Social Science Education, students most often teach at the Secondary School level. Some, however, pursue graduate degrees and later transition to college teaching.
Visit the Department History website for more information.