Elementary Education Major
Do you have a passion for teaching? Our faculty does.
- All our faculty are certified teachers who have been out there as educators. While we will soon have 75% of our faculty with doctorate degrees, all still spend time out in classrooms supervising students, meeting with teachers, principals and superintendents.
- The faculty’s commitment to networking will help you at job-hunting time. Usually after one of our teachers is in a school, we get calls for more.
- You will get field experience early. Students begin gaining in-classroom experience their sophomore year and their experience culminates with a 12-week student teaching experience their senior year.
- We will make sure you get experience in both the elementary and secondary schools, so you will know where you best fit as a teacher.
- Faith integration also is an important part of the teacher education at SBU. Scriptural truths are brought into the classroom for supporting educational truth and theoretical truth. Dr. Haun said, “We pray for our students. We are followers of Christ so it shows in what we do as role models.”
- School districts know when teachers graduate from SBU they will be well-prepared to teach in the classroom and be servant leaders in the academic community. The department has nearly 100% placement rate for graduates who want to teach in the classroom, while many others have chosen to attend graduate school.
Visit the Education website for more information.