Beyond the job placement statistics and the award-winning record for CIS students at national contests, it is the personal touch from caring faculty like Department Chair Dr. Tim DeClue that makes the difference:
“Now that I have kids college age, I don’t just see the kids in front of me, I see parents standing behind students praying for them having put their all in them. I know not all CIS schools are interested in mentoring and seeing these kids succeed. I have been at SBU for 25 years, and I have seen us go from being a good school to a nationally recognized school. Now we want to be the best. Our faculty wake up every day knowing that teaching is the most important thing they will do all day. Here teachers teach. You won’t be taught by a graduate assistant or by a computer.”
Computer and Information Sciences Major
Not many schools can proclaim more than 97% job placement in the current economic climate, but at SBU our Department of Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) can. If you want to be part of a department which honors God and seeks academic excellence and leadership at the national level, SBU CIS is for you.
- Our graduates work for the biggest and best companies in the world including: Accenture, Boeing, Intel, IBM, Microsoft, Motorola, ConocoPhillips, Lockheed-Martin and Wal-Mart Information Systems. Check out what these and other companies say about SBU CIS graduates.
- The CIS Department at SBU is a dynamic, nationally-recognized and growing department of computer and information science faculty and students.
- Home to four full-time faculty and approximately 70 students, and with eighteen top-ten national awards in the last four years, the CIS Department has established itself as a national leader among CIS departments at evangelical Christian schools.
- The four full-time faculty and faculty associates in the SBU CIS Department will celebrate the beginning of their 84th year of teaching experience in 2011.
- The National Science Foundation/IEEE’s Technical Committee on Parallel Processing (NSF/IEEE TCPP) named SBU to the early adopter program of the NSF/IEEE TCPP’s Curriculum Initiative for Parallel and Distributed Computing. SBU joins only 33 universities around the world, and 22 in the United States, who have achieved the same status.
- According to Money Magazine, software engineering is the "Best Job in America" boasting an average salary of $80.000. Starting salaries SBU CIS graduates currently fall into the $50,000-$60,000 range.
Visit the Computer and Information Sciences website for more information.