“Our upper-level chemistry classes are small so our students have a great opportunity to get to know their instructors and get one-on-one interaction with them.” - Dr. John D. Patton, Department Chair & Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Majors in this area study the basics of chemistry including General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Chemistry through the Eyes of Faith. Electives include Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry and Spectroscopic Analysis.
- Chemistry majors get hands-on experience with instrumentation including a Gas Chromatograph, High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Spectrophotometer and Analytical Balances.
- The student/professor ratio in the upper-level classes is low allowing the student one-on-one interactions with the professor.
- For the past two years, all chemistry and physics graduates have applied and been accepted into graduate school
- Graduates can expect to be prepared for careers in forensic science programs, crime labs, and as lab technicians for chemical companies.
- Students majoring in chemistry have an opportunity to be a part of a SBU’s Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE). Students work with a faculty member over the summer on a research project. In addition to gaining research experience, the student is paid a stipend.
- For pre-med majors, shadowing a physician is highly-recommended. Medical graduate programs are less likely to admit a student who has not had this experience prior to application.
Visit the Chemistry website for more information.