“The Biology department provides a solid Christian undergraduate education that will challenge and prepare students for their career in science and for life in general.”
-Dr. Craig Endres, Department Chair
Biology Education Major
- Students successfully completing the B.S. degree in Biology Education will be certified to teach biology and general science at the high school level.
- The biology department consists of four highly-qualified and dedicated faculty, all of whom have earned doctorate degrees. We are committeed Christians who care about students both as biologists and as individuals. We provide a quality education on a personal level that will challenge and prepare students for their career in biology and in life in general. Most recently, at the May 2011 commencement, Dr. Rosalyn Snellen received the Orien B. Hendrex Distinguished Teacher Award.
- The Biology Department offers a unique program which gives students the opportunity to pursue a second major or minor in Integration of Science and Christian Faith.
- Students may apply for the Southwest Baptist Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program. This summer program allows students to conduct research with a faculty member and get paid for doing it.
- Students also have an opportunity to study abroad through the SBU/USFQ Partnership Program in Ecuador. In the fall semester, two of our biology students did just that, and for one student it included the Galapagos Islands.
Employment opportunities are very promising. There is a need for high school biology teachers and SBU graduates have been highly sought after.
For more information, visit the Biology Department website.