- Southwest Baptist University is a private, four-year comprehensive evangelical Christian university offering more than 80 areas of academic study.
- SBU was founded in 1878 and has always been a distinctively Christian educational institution.
- SBU’s main campus is located on a campus of 152 acres in Bolivar, Mo., which is a town of approximately 10,300 just 25 miles north of Springfield, MO – the third-largest city in the state.
- SBU also offers additional branch campuses in Mountain View, Salem, and Springfield (Mercy College of Nursing and Health Sciences of SBU).
- SBU is affiliated with both the Southern Baptist and Missouri Baptist Conventions.
Southwest Baptist University is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
6836 Austin Center Boulevard, Suite 250
Austin, TX 78731
Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
11520 West 119th Street
Overland Park, KS 66213
Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
415 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Jefferson State Office Building
205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480
National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston, VA 20190
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
3343 Peachtree Road NE Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
1111 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Council on Social Work Education
1701 Duke Street, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA 22314
The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850
Chicago, IL 60606-3182
ASN Program in Nursing has full approval status granted by:
Missouri State Board of Nursing
3605 Missouri Boulevard
P.O. Box 656
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0656
The University is a member of the:
• Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
• Missouri Baptist Convention
•Consortium of Global Education
• International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities
• National Association of College and University Business Officers
Academics and Faculty
- SBU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- SBU is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
- SBU offers 13 undergraduate and 5 graduate degrees in more than 80 areas of study.
- SBU has six academic colleges: Robert W. Plaster College of Business and Computer Science, College of Education and Social Sciences, College of Science and Mathematics, Courts Redford College of Theology and Ministry, Geneva Casebolt College of Music, Arts, and Letters, and Mercy College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- More than 70% of full-time faculty holds the terminal degree in their field.
- The average undergraduate class size is 24 students, and the student-to-faculty ratio is 16:1.
- SBU has been recognized as one of America’s Best Christian Colleges ® for the past 17 years.
- Undergraduate top majors (Based on 2,511 degree-seeking undergraduate students from all campuses; primary and secondary majors included)
- Nursing — 505 (20%)
- Elementary Education — 215 (8.6%)
- Psychology — 124 (4.9%)
- Biology — 104 (4.1%)
- Exercise Science — 81 (3.2%)
- Criminal Justice — 68 (2.7%)
- Athletic Training/Pre-AT — 62 (2.5%)
- Christian Ministry — 62 (2.5%)
- Biblical Studies — 55 (2.2%)
- Management — 55 (2.2%)
- Mathematics — 55 (2.2%)
Admissions and Financial Aid
- More than 98% of students receive financial aid at SBU.
- More than $12,000,000 in financial aid is available to qualified students.
- SBU has been recognized as one of America’s 100 Best Buys ® for the past 18 years and one of America’s Best College Scholarships ® for the past seven years.
- Average ACT score of all full-time, first-time students: 23.11 (470 students from all campuses — 85.1% reporting an ACT comp score)
- Average high school GPA of all full-time, first-time students: 3.46 (470 students from all campuses — 94.7% reporting high school GPA)
Enrollment Figures (as of Fall 2013)
- Total enrollment (undergraduate and graduate) on all campuses is 3,812.
- Total undergraduate enrollment is 2,962, broken down by campuses as follows:
- Bolivar — 1,519
- Mountain View — 114
- Salem — 221
- Springfield — 687
- Dual Credit — 421
- Total graduate enrollment is 850, broken down by degree programs as follows:
- Doctoral students — 313
- Specialist students — 84
- Master's students — 453
- Gender breakdown:
- University-wide undergraduate degree-seeking students — Female 65%, Male 35%
- University-wide full-time degree-seeking students — Female 60%, Male 40%
- Bolivar campus undergraduate — Female 54%, Male 46%
- SBU's Bolivar campus is comprised of students representing 257 Missouri communities, 89 of Missouri's 114 Missouri counties, 38 states and 22 countries.
- Ethnicity/race breakdown (All undergraduates on all campuses):
- Non-resident aliens: 34
- Black, non-Hispanic: 110
- American Indian/Alaska native: 18
- Asian or Pacific Islander: 22
- Hispanic: 41
- White, non-Hispanic: 1,779
- Unknown: 958
- University-wide retention rate of full-time, first-time students; Fall 2012 to 2013 (Fall 2012 full-time, first-time students who re-enrolled for Fall 2013; 519 students): 63.6%
- Bolivar (459 students) — 66.5%
- Mountain View (12 students) — 16.6%
- Salem (25 students) — 44%
- Springfield (25 students) — 60%
- Graduation rate 2006 (six-year rate), university-wide: 54%
In the Community and Around the World
- SBU’s Center for Global Connections evangelizes the nations, specifically targeting the unreached people groups of the 10/40 window, exposes students to short-term volunteer programs in a cross-cultural context, develops grace oriented leadership, and provides students with a healthy, safe, and loving community experience.
- Mission trip opportunity examples include: Baja, Guatemala, Honduras, Houston, TX, New Orleans, Philippines, South Asia, South Sudan, and many more.
- SBU students benefit from spiritual growth opportunities such as chapel services, community service, mission trips, and small group Bible studies through the Community Life + Worship program.
Athletics and Wellness
- SBU Athletics are NCAA Division II.
- 18 sports are offered:
- Men — baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, track and field (indoor and outdoor)
- Women — basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field (indoor and outdoor), volleyball
- The Jane and Ken Meyer Wellness Center offers facilities including aerobics rooms, fitness rooms, intramural courts, natatorium, racquetball courts, rock climbing wall, and running track.
- Download a PDF containing Student Right-to-Know information