- Southwest Baptist University is a private, four-year comprehensive evangelical Christian university offering more than 80 areas of academic study.
- SBU was founded in 1878 and has always been a distinctively Christian educational institution.
- SBU’s main campus is located on a campus of 152 acres in Bolivar, Mo., which is a town of approximately 10,300 just 25 miles north of Springfield, MO – the third-largest city in the state.
- SBU also offers additional branch campuses in Mountain View, Salem, and Springfield (nursing school).
- SBU is affiliated with both the Southern Baptist and Missouri Baptist Conventions.
Academics and Faculty
- SBU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association.
- SBU is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
- SBU offers 13 undergraduate and 5 graduate degrees in more than 80 areas of study.
- SBU has six academic colleges: College of Business and Computer Science, College of Education and Social Sciences, College of Science and Mathematics, Courts Redford College of Theology and Ministry, Geneva Casebolt College of Music, Arts, and Letters, and Mercy College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- More than 70% of full-time faculty holds the terminal degree in their field.
- The average undergraduate class size is 24 students, and the student-to-faculty ratio is 16:1.
- SBU has been recognized as one of America’s Best Christian Colleges ® for the past 15 years.
Admissions and Financial Aid
- More than 98% of students receive financial aid at SBU.
- More than $12,000,000 in financial aid is available to qualified students.
- SBU has been recognized as one of America’s 100 Best Buys ® for the past 16 years and one of America’s Best College Scholarships ® for the past six years.
- SBU’s Bolivar campus has approximately 1,600 undergraduate students.
- SBU’s student body is about 50% men and 50% women.
- SBU is comprised of students representing 40 states, 19 countries, and 6 continents.
In the Community and Around the World
- SBU’s Center for Global Connections evangelizes the nations, specifically targeting the unreached people groups of the 10/40 window, exposes students to short-term volunteer programs in a cross-cultural context, develops grace oriented leadership, and provides students with a healthy, safe, and loving community experience.
- Mission trip opportunities include: Baja, Guatemala, Honduras, Houston, TX, New Orleans, Philippines, South Asia, South Sudan, and many more.
- SBU students benefit from spiritual growth opportunities such as chapel services, community service, mission trips, and small group Bible studies through the Community Life + Worship program.
- SBU Athletics are NCAA Division II in the MIAA conference.
- 18 sports are offered:
- Men: baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, track and field (indoor and outdoor)
- Women: basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field (indoor and outdoor), volleyball
- The Jane and Ken Meyer Wellness Center offers facilities including aerobics rooms, fitness rooms, intramural courts, natatorium, racquetball courts, rock climbing wall, and running track.