Policies and Procedures
Minor Age Policies
Minors ages 15 and under must have a Wellness Center membership and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a Wellness Center membership to gain admission to the facility. Minors must remain in the company of the parent or legal guardian while in the Wellness Center.
Minors, ages 16 and over, can enter the Wellness Center by displaying a valid membership.
- A valid SBU Identification Card is required for entrance to Wellness Center. ID cards are non transferable. The cards are proximity oriented and each member must electronically register their visit. No “tag-alongs” are allowed.
- Guests must register in the Director’s office, obtain a Guest Pass, and pay the daily fee. Any guest under the age of 18 must be in the company of an adult sponsor or parent at all times.
- Participation is at your own risk. (Reference Membership Liability Waiver).
- There will be no smoking, chewing tobacco, or alcohol on the premises (Reference Student Handbook).
- No food, gum or beverages are allowed in the Wellness Area or Intramural Gym. Water in sealable containers is allowed.
- Appropriate attire is required. (See usage policies for each activity area).
- Bicycles, roller blades, skates, and skateboards are not allowed in the Wellness Center.
- SBU is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Book bags and personal items are not allowed in activity areas. They should be stored in lockers located in student locker room on first floor of Wellness Center.
- All accidents must be reported to Wellness Center staff/supervisors at the Intramural Gym Equipment Issue Desk or the Fitness Area Desk.
- Participants are encouraged to report any maintenance or repair need to the Wellness Center staff or supervisors. Cost of damage repair occurring to the Wellness Center facility or equipment will be assessed to the responsible individual.
- Animals are prohibited in the Wellness Center, unless utilized as a guide or assistant for people with disabilities.
- Electronic equipment is permitted for personal use, but only with headphones.
- Signs and posters may not be posted on any wall without prior approval of the Director’s office.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- Wellness Center patrons are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with SBU policy. Abusive or vulgar language will not be tolerated. There will be no spitting and fighting, non compliance will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the Center. Conduct should not distract or disrupt the recreational pursuits of other participants. Participants not following policies and procedures may be asked to leave the Wellness Center by supervisors or staff. If cooperation is not immediately obtained, Campus Security will be contacted and the member may be referred for disciplinary action.
- Lockers are for day use only. Participants may use locks to secure their clothing or equipment in a locker. Locks and items must be removed before closing time.
- Locks not removed from the lockers will be cut off at owner’s expense and items placed in the lost and found.
- Equipment may be checked out for daily use with a valid SBU Identification Card. Users are responsible for equipment and must reimburse Wellness Center for damage to equipment before return of Identification Card.
- The equipment may not be used overnight. No equipment may leave the Wellness Center facility.
Lost and Found
Lost and found items, if returned to the Fitness Area control desk, will be kept for one month. Wellness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Appropriate attire is required in the intramural gym. Full length shirts (t-shirts) covered backs and fronts, shorts, and non marking shoes are acceptable. Sandals, open-toed shoes, boots, hard soled shoes, and anything that damages flooring or compromises the safety and professionalism of the Fitness Area are prohibited.
- Dunking, grabbing or hanging on the basketball rims is prohibited.
- The use of soccer balls, baseballs, footballs or Frisbees and other equipment considered unsafe in the gymnasium environment are prohibited during open recreation. Exceptions will be made for programmed and staff supervised activities.
- The decision to divide courts by drawing Gym curtains will be made by Wellness Center staff.
- Do not lean on, pull, or sit on court dividers.
- Recreational basketball games will adhere to the following guidelines:
A challenge for the next game is issued verbally by waiting players. No one in the present game may call for “next game”. Only one player need be present to issue a challenge. Losing player(s) are not eligible for the next game unless other player(s) are unavailable. Upon winning three consecutive games, the winning team must exit the court if players are waiting for “next game”.
- All climbers must register at the Equipment Issue Desk.
- All climbers must complete a Belay Certification Course.
- All belays must display a Belay Certification Card issued by the Climbing Wall staff.
- Climbers must be on “top rope” with a certified belayer if the feet exceed the “red line” wall height. Climbers failing to observe the “red line” limit will forfeit their climbing privileges.
- Climbers must provide a certified belayer. Solo climbing is not permitted.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed to belay. A climber under the age of 16 must be under parent or guardian supervision.
- Climbers are required to use ropes provided by the Climbing Wall. Personal harnesses and climbing hardware may be used if first checked by the Climbing Wall staff.
- Non-marking shoes must be worn on the climbing wall. Bare feet and boots are not permitted.
- Harnesses must be double-backed at the waist and leg loop and checked by the belayer before starting the climb.
- It is both the climber and belayer’s responsibility to check, double check, and triple check the climber knot, and belay system before climbing.
- Rock Wall climbing and belaying commands must be followed.
- Use of chalk is confined to “chalk ball” and is to be carried in a chalk bag. No colored chalk is permitted.
- Climbers must remove all jewelry and loose fitting clothing before climbing.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the Climbing Wall area.
- Only instruction by the Climbing Wall staff is permitted.
- Any adjustment or rearrangement of holds is performed by the Climbing Wall staff.
- Setting or adjusting of “top rope” or boulder routes is only performed by the Climbing Wall staff.
- Climbing on any element of the Wellness Center facility other than the Climbing Wall, will result in immediate suspension of Wellness Center privileges.
- Climbers must climb in a safe manner at their own risk.
- The Climbing Wall staff has the authority to ask participants to leave the Climbing Wall if actions are considered a hazard to their own or other’s health and safety.
- The running track is designated for running, jogging and walking. The inside lane is reserved for walkers. The middle lane is reserved for joggers and the outside lane is for runners.
- Direction: A clockwise direction will be used on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. A counter clockwise direction will be used on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- The track is not to be used as an observation area for gymnasium or rock wall activities. No leaning, sitting or hanging on the track railing.
- Non-marking running shoes or gym shoes are appropriate for the track. No boots or spikes.
- Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Stretching is to be done in “off track” designated areas.
- Track is for foot traffic only. Please no wheeled vehicles.
- See Fitness Area policies for proper use of equipment.
- Thirty minute time limit if someone is waiting.
- Wipe down machines when workout is completed.
- Cardio and weight equipment is to be wiped down after each usage. A spray cleaner/disinfectant will be provided in exercise area. Please, consider bringing a towel to cover benches during workout. Covering the benches with towels prolongs the life of the equipment and reduces the spread of infections and illness.
- Participants must be 16 years of age or older to use the Fitness Area. Anyone under the age of 16 is not allowed in the Fitness Area, even in the company of an adult, parent or guardian.
- Appropriate exercise attire is required in the Fitness Area. Full length shirts with backs, shorts, aerobic wear, and close-toed athletic shoes are acceptable. Sandals, open-toed shoes, boots, hard soled shoes, and anything that compromises the safety and professionalism of the Fitness Area are prohibited.
- Personal belongings (backpacks, clothing, wallets, etc.) may not be placed any where in the Fitness Area. All personal items must be stored in student locker rooms.
- No food, beverages, or gum is allowed in the Fitness Area. Only water in sealable containers is allowed.
- All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming, or bouncing of weights is prohibited.
- Spotters are necessary for all free weights.
- Collars are required for free weight bars.
- Re-rack weights and dumbbells after use.
- Do not place weights or dumbbells on padded benches.
- Weight plates must be kept in free weight and plate-loaded areas.
- Dumbbell use is limited to one set of dumbbells at a time.
- Cardiovascular machine workouts are limited to 30 minutes if patrons are waiting.
- Report any injury or maintenance needs to Fitness staff.
- Participation is at your own risk.
- Fitness staff may ask participants to leave area for non-observance of policies.
- Physical Training may only be performed by trainers, officially sanctioned by the Wellness Center Director.
- Racquetball and handball court reservations may be made 24 hours in advance by phoning the Wellness desk during operating hours. Reservations will begin on the hour and extend for one hour.
- All players must check in at the Fitness Desk before proceeding to the courts.
- A waiting list will be established beginning on the hour. Courts not claimed by 10 minutes after the hour will be assigned according to the waiting list.
- Protective eye wear is required and must be worn correctly to prevent eye injury. Eye guards may be checked out at the Fitness Desk with a SBU Identification Card.
- Racquetball racquets may be checked out at the Fitness desk. All racquets must have protective racquet guards and lanyards. Lanyards must be secured to player’s wrist at all times during a game. Member must pay for all racquet damage.
- Players must exit courts when reservation time has expired. Players may not
remain on court to finish a game.
- Tapping or knocking on glass or the door to notify players that time has expired must be done between points.
- Report any injury or maintenance needs to Fitness Area Staff.
- Non-marking athletic shoes are required.
- The Fitness Staff may only designate a challenge court. Time and court number will be posted.
- The Aerobics room is only open to programmed activities and classes.
- Appropriate aerobics clothing is required to participate.
- Athletic shoes are required.
- Only water in sealable containers is allowed in the Aerobics room.
- The Classrooms are available for classes, programmed activities, and group meetings.
- Reservations for activities and meetings must be scheduled through the Director’s office.
- The approved party must secure classrooms after use.
- Entrance to the Aquatics Area may only be gained when the lifeguard is present. The lifeguard on duty is to be obeyed at all times.
- The Aquatics Area may be closed at any time by the Wellness Center Director or Head Lifeguard due to inclement weather or possible health concerns from water borne or blood borne bacteria.
- Swimmers may be required to perform a swimming test by the lifeguards. If unable to pass the test; swimmers will be restricted to the shallow water area of the pool. The swim test consists of: Continuous swim – 25 yards on front, followed by 1 minute of treading water.
- Adult, parent, or guardian supervision is required for swimmers under 16 years of age.
- All swimmers must shower from head to toe before entering the pool.
- Appropriate swimming attire is required. Only conventional one-piece, clean, bathing suits may be worn. No cut-offs, walking shorts, jeans, or clothing deemed inappropriate or damaging to filtration system will be allowed.
- All swimmers wearing diapers or of diaper wearing age must wear swimsuit diapers or tight fitting rubber or plastic pants that will contain urinary or fecal matter.
- Shoulder length hair should be tied back or put in a swim cap.
- Food or beverages are not allowed in the Aquatic Area. Water in sealable containers is allowed.
- People with open sores or wounds, infectious diseases or rashes are not permitted in the pool. Contact the lifeguard if you have any questions.
- Walk on the pool deck at all times. NO RUNNING, pushing, horseplay or any action that may endanger personal safety or the safety of other swimmers is allowed.
- Flotation devices, arm-floats, rafts, life jackets may be used for children who are under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Adults may use jogging belts for water exercise.
- Public display of affection is prohibited.
- Kickboards and water exercise equipment must be used for its intended purpose.
- There is to be only one person on a diving board at all times. Divers are responsible for their landing area. The correct and appropriate diving skill should be used at all times. There is to be only one spring per dive. Divers will be allowed to exit the boards by descending the steps. Divers waiting to dive must not be on the ladder until the diver on the board has entered the water.
- All injuries or maintenance needs must be reported to the lifeguard on duty.
- Immediate attention must be given to a lifeguard whistle. One long whistle by the lifeguard indicates an emergency and is the signal for swimmers to clear the pool.
The Wellness Centers Sports Café is located in the Student Commons Area between the Sports Arena and the Wellness Area. The Sports Café is sponsored by Fresh Ideas and offers healthy fare for your selection. The hours of operation will be posted.
Wellness Center Reservation and Rental
- All facility reservations will be made by contacting the Wellness Center Director.
- SBU Student Life, Academics, and Athletics will be given calendar priority.
- SBU groups may make a Wellness Center reservation request 12 months in advance. Reservations will be granted on a first come basis.
- Non-SBU groups may make Wellness Center reservation requests 12 months in advance. Reservations will be granted a maximum of 4 months in advance, on a first come basis.
- Facility request forms are available in the Director’s office or can be downloaded from this site. Both pages of the form must be submitted in person to the Director's office.
- Deposits are required to hold the reservations.
Wellness Center Rental Fee:
Courts Package: $100.00/hr. (2 hr. min.) 3 basketball courts and/or Volleyball
Pool Package: $100.00/hr. (2 hr. min.) Swimming pool, 2 guards
Limit 100 participants
*Climbing Wall Package: $75.00/hr. (2 hr. min.) Climbing Wall, top rope, bouldering
(Includes 2 staff/belayers)
Contact Fresh Ideas for information.
*More requirements are necessary for Climbing Wall. Contact the Director’s office for details.