Chemical / Hazardous Material Spill
(417) 328-1556 or 328-8733
It is the responsibility of faculty, staff, and students to know the proper procedures and precautions of the chemicals and material they work with.
Procedures for a chemical or hazardous material spill:
- Evacuate the immediate area. Make sure everyone has been alerted and has safely left the affected area. (This may include building evacuation)
• Seek or perform first aid.
- Skin Contact: Assist the person to the sink or shower station flushing the area affected thoroughly and continuously for 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing.
- Eye Contact: Assist the person to the eyewash station, water fountain or sink and flush the eyes thoroughly and continuously for 15 minutes.
- Inhalation: Move the individual to fresh air. Do NOT perform mouth to mouth, as it will contaminate you.
NOTE: Refer to Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the proper method of clean up and treatment of injuries.
- Notify Safety and Security as soon as possible.
- Report the chemical spilled, quantity, and location.
- Retrieve the MSDS as soon as possible.
- Do not clean up the spill unless you have been trained to do so