Degree Requirements (General Regulations Only)
- Students are eligible to graduate after fulfilling the requirements descibed in the academic regulations section of the catalog under which they first enroll at SBU. They have a seven-year period during which they may graduate under that catalog. If there are extenuating circumstances, one may appeal to the Office of the Provost for a waiver. Students have the option to choose any catalog subsequent to the one under which they entered.
- Students must successfully complete at least one course at SBU during the academic year of the catalog selected for graduation.
- Students must complete all graduation requirements in the semester in which they intend to graduate and the diploma will be dated in the completion semester.
- Students who enroll in another college or university without prior permission of the Provost are considered to have withdrawn from SBU.
- Students wishing to transfer work from another institution and not withdraw from SBU must obtain a "Permission for a Transfer of Credit" form from the registrar's office prior to enrolling in another institution.
- Students must attain seven (7) chapel points or one (1) point less than the number of fall/spring semesters enrolled as a full-time undergraduate at the Bolivar campus of SBU. (See the Student Handbook for a detailed explanation of the chapel attendance policy.)
- Students must complete at least 64 hours for A.A.,A.S., or A.A.S. and 128 hours for B.A., B.S., B.A.S,or B.M. degrees.
NOTE: See the university catalog for specific degree requirements.
Honor RollTo be listed on the semester's honor roll, a student must carry at least 12 hours of college work at SBU and earn at least a "B" (3.0 grade point average) with no grade below "C."
Honors Graduation (Undergraduate degrees only)Students with a grade point average of at least 3.85 in all college courses will be graduated SUMMA CUM LAUDE; students with an average of at least 3.70, but less than 3.85, will be graduated MAGNA CUM LAUDE; a student with an average of at least 3.5, but less than 3.70 will be graduated CUM LAUDE. In order to graduate with honors, a student must have earned a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit at SBU prior to the semester of graduation.
The grade point average at the end of the semester previous to the semester of graduation will be used to determine honor graduates for the commencement ceremony. The official honors notation will be made on transcripts after the final semester grades are in the registrar's office.
NOTE: All DEGREES will be granted contingent upon successful completion of all requirements for the degree. This means that once grades are determined and finalized, the diploma and an official transcript will be mailed to the student who has successfully completed all requirements. The diploma and transcript will be mailed to the address the student wrote on the Intent to Graduate card.