Learning About the Science of Life
An SBU degree in biology can take one of three different paths depending on the student’s career plans. Our Biomedical Science focus prepares you to pursue advanced studies in medicine, dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, pharmacy, and even veterinary science. Our Environmental Biology/Field Biology emphasis is good preparation for work with agencies such as the Department of Conservation and the Department of Natural Resources. Finally, the General Biology degree is an excellent background for students who one day would like to teach biology in a high school.
SBU’s biology professors have a passion for the classroom and a real desire to help students achieve their career and life goals. We pride ourselves in our low teacher to student ratio that allows us to get to know students well and assist them one-on-one as needed. Ultimately, it is our desire to prepare each student for success in whatever aspect of biology they choose to pursue.
Special Strengths of the SBU Biology Department
- All full-time faculty have earned PhDs and teach all labs and lectures personally
- Our faculty represent a range of life science fields
- Departmental scholarships are available
- Small class sizes mean lots of hands-on help and interaction with professors
- A recent class had 100% of its graduates seeking to enter professional schools accepted
- Over 80% of our biology majors seeking to enter graduate school are accepted